Thursday, May 19, 2011

Experiencing Some Arkansas "True Grit"





  

   












Traveling in AR to present workshops of various topics we decided to explore some local culture in the historic "True Grit" http://fortsmith.org/things-to-do/truegritfortsmith.aspx town of Fort Smith AR. I am drawn to the exhibits at the museum that are fabric/textile related or "domestic" according to the exhibit sign. Interesting items with few if any womens names documented as opposed to the very documented weapons and hanging history.

I look for inspiration and individual stories that might have been missed/marginalized. This is the inspiration for much of my artwork. Doing anti-bias anti-racist work in a state with a big history of oppression of many layers, many of which are still present today, can make a social justice warrior weary. I try to seek out people and places where I can recharge my Spirit. One of my most favorite restaurants to recharge the body in AR is Rolando's Neuvo Latino Restaurante in Hot Springs. http://www.rolandosrestaurante.com/   I was so  pleased to see they have a location in Fort Smith so we wasted no time in ordering nourishment for the body and Spirit!




                                                         
Salud e alegría crían belleza
Health and happiness create beauty
Mexican dicho

No comments:

Post a Comment