Thursday, February 13, 2014

Amor y Amistad Day of Love & Friendship

As a Chicana I celebrate holidays and traditions bi-culturally. In Mexico and a few other Latin American countries Saint Valentine's Day is know as Dia de amor y amistad (Day of love and friendship). Its a time to let your Beloveds know you care. Its not uncommon for it to be a day of acts of appreciation for friends. 


Cultural Worker's Dream Pillow © Sabrina Zarco 2014

Embroidered symbols and the words 
Love, Peace, Justice, Freedom, Change, Equality,
 Action, Power, Unity, Voice, Vision and Art


So on this day of speaking out loud the names of those we love and treasure in friendship I choose to honor and send big love to

- my teachers, mentors, and path finders on this Good Red Road.

- my Beloveds,  the ones who share my daily life with love, commitment, and passion. Not always an easy task.

- my children I am honored you call my Mom


- my Autism family for your special way of seeing and experiencing the world keep strong in our self advocacy work.

- all my Beloveds I call sisters and brothers and family who have crossed my path on this journey, blessings. 

- the four legged and winged ones you add so much to my life.


 - you cultural workers, social justice workers who keep the stories alive and keep fighting the hard fight for dignity and justice. 

 - the true change makers who walk daily challenging bigotry at every turn.

- my artist family, creative brothers and sisters who tell the stories that need to be told in cloth, on walls or canvas, in spoken word or song, in gardens, kitchens, and classrooms.

So Happy day of Love to all of you and thank you for your gifts of inspiration and living by example. 

May the places you visit in Spirit and body today be welcoming to you and yours and know that you are loved!







No comments:

Post a Comment