Monday, October 27, 2008

Journal Quilt Elements :Viento Agua Tierra Fuego




"Viento Agua Tierra Fuego, Venido a mi lado, Wind Water Land Fire, Come to my side"


Wind water land and fire are sacred elements of my spirituality as an indigenous woman. They remind us of the four cardinal directions and the stages of life. Just as the number 4 the elements are an essential part of spirituality, prophecy, story telling and music.


The words "viento agua tirera fuego, vendio a mi lado call the wind, water, land and fire come to our side" are a call to the elements during a drum ceremony song. This work displays the spirit of the elements with leather strips that overlay each element in the traditional symbol going in a cycle or clockwise motion.The work celebrates the people of the drum circle as we invite forgiveness, healing, love and peace into our daily lives.


This artwork is currently on display at the International Quilt Festival in Houston and will travel with the show. I am thankful for the opportunity to share a part of my culture.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:30 PM

    Hi Sabrina, thought I would check out your website...it's been awhile since I was last out here. I saw this and thought it was so pretty, then realize who it was for!!!!! :) That's so sweet of you! It's so beautiful!

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete