Saturday, February 12, 2011

cocina corazon

Magicians and Alchemists used the heart symbol for incantations pertaining to matters in love and romance. Various food and drink are also often part of the heart ritual.




The story of Valentine. He is said to be originally a physician who was also s a gastronomist, who made his medicines more palatable by mixing them with herbs, spices, honey, and wine.



The doctor converted to a Christian priest and began treating the blind daughter of one of Emperor Claudius II's prison guards. Valentine was incarcerated for his religious beliefs, and after his refusal to renounce Christianity, was executed by Claudius II on February 14 in the third century. 



Legend has it that he had fallen in love with his patient and sent a note to the girl, signed "from your Valentine," before his execution. Supposedly the girl's vision was restored by his treatment and faith at the very time she was reading his last words. Valentine was canonized by Pope Gelasius in 496.


My " Tu solo tu", fiber art heart in a private collection.



My Chicano corazon of beans and rice from one of my altars 
honoring farmworkers and community activists.



My Beloved called me to the kitchen to catch this corazon on my favorite comfort food. 
Proof that my tortilla is made con carino!


Detail image of one of my art quilts now in a private collection. 
The quote reads: 
Ni contigo, ni sin ti  /  not living with you or without you
Ni contigo porque me matas / not living with you because you would kill me
Ni sin ti porque me muerto / Not living without you or I would die


No comments:

Post a Comment